Tuesday, December 11, 2007

iTunes

[SQL Server Express is downloading.]

ITunes

My wife's the one with the iPod, but after playing with iTunes and podcasts, I installed iTunes on my computer and started looking for some interesting stuff to listen to. There are a few categories of podcasts, some of which work better than others.

Spoken word

I can see how this would be ideal for listening to in the car or while on the move. In fact, my wife and I listen to Board Games To Go whenever we go on a car trip. We also listen to Will Shortz's Sunday puzzle.

On my desktop (things that probably only appeal to me), I've added A Praire Home Companion, Getting things done, and WNYC's Radio Lab. All of these are worth listening to, but I don't usually turn on my computer to listen passively. Whenever my computer is on, I'm usually actively doing something that requires verbal mind-space. Checking email, writing this blog, programming (hopefully sometime soon, really), or even playing a game. Unfortunately, spoken word programs don't mesh at all with these activities, and I don't usually get through an entire podcast before silencing it.

Music

Well, that leaves music, doesn't it? I've been experimenting with a few jazz and big band podcasts. It's a lot more like listening to the radio, which mostly leaves my brain free to do other things. Like waiting for SQL Server Express to finish downloading.

2 Comments:

At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no, seriously. bring the main website back, that was my favorite.

 
At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there!
Sorry I didn't reply to your earlier comment. I wish I had a good excuse (the dog ate it), but I don't have a dog, and the bunny isn't allowed upstairs, so he wouldn't have had a chance to eat your message (although he would have done so, if the opportunity presented itself).

Anyways, I should thank you for answering two of my questions. (A) Does anyone read this stuff - a question every blogger asks, I would guess, and (B) Should I, in fact, bother resurrecting any of my programming projects on FlyingSheep.com (or should I just let the blog ramble on forever)?

As you've answered both questions in the affirmative, it just remains for me to ask you (a very holiday appropriate question), "What do you want?" Shall I start with a new version of Ask FlyingSheep (akin to Hello World in its simplicity)?

Bear in mind, of course, that more complex things take longer.

Hope this was something like the response you were looking for.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home