Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Games

Games

It's not really fair, is it? You're expecting some great observations about software development, and I'm letting you down. Instead of exploring and creating, I'm playing. Well, I may as well blog about it, right? Perhaps you're a gamer too, and this will interest you.

Currently, I've got two games on my physical desk - Age of Wonders II and Neverwinter Nights 2.

AOW 2:The Wizard's Throne

Very evocative title, that. And, it's appropriate, as one of the main changes in the sequel is the increased importance of the player as a character (a wizard) who controls gameplay across the landscape from his tower (or "throne"). There may also be a tie-in with the plot, but I don't pay a lot of attention to the story.

This game, as well as its ancestor, is one that I've picked up again after a long (two year) hiatus. In fact, I had to transfer the last saved game file (from 2006) from my previous computer.

I'm on the verge of uninstalling the game. It's a bad combination of addicting (last weekend, I awoke around 6 AM just to get in about 3 hours of gaming) and frustrating. For that much time spent playing the game, I barely feel any sense of accomplishment. In fact, at the end of that time, I was probably worse off then when I started.

I should submit, at this point, that my stunning incompotence at this game is the main (if not the only) contributing factor to its frustratingness. I'm sure there's a word for "frustratingness", but I can't come up with it.

NWN 2: the unsubtitled

This game, a birthday gift from my brother, is one of the three factors that caused me to purchase a new computer. Starting tomorrow (!) I'll be playing online with him for an hour each week. I can't wait.

Reflexive

I'm testing out games from Reflexive. I started with Richochet Infinity (very tempting), and just downloaded a Warcraft clone. See you next time!

1 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you ever going to bring flyingsheep.com back?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home